Guide: How do I apply for unemployment benefits?

When you first become unemployed

On the first day of your unemployment you will need to register with Arbetsförmedlingen. You will then need to be a member at a-kassan to apply for unemployment benefits.

If you wish to apply for unemployment benefits

First, sign in to our e-service Mina sidor to apply for unemployment benefits. There you will see a list of what you need to do.

We will need a proof of employment for the last 12 calendar months before you became unemployed, so that we can make a decision on if you can receive benefits or not.

Please ask your employer to complete the proof of employment. They can easily fill in a digital proof at If your employer cannot fill in a digital proof of employment, you must send it to us by post. You can find the form here. If you have had several employers for the last 12 months, you must send a separate proof for each employer.

When you have submitted an application for receiving benefits, it can take up to 8 weeks before you will receive an answer from us. Please make sure that you have sent in everything we need to make a decision on your application. If your application is incomplete, it might take longer for you to receive an answer from us.

Time reports and activity reports

Fill in your time report every week at Mina sidor. If you have questions on how to fill in the time reports, please contact us. If you forget to hand in the time report you will not be able to receive benefits from us that week. You can see when you need to hand in your time report by latest on our website.

It is very important that you remember to send in your activity reports to Arbetsförmedlingen every month. If you do not, they will inform us about it and you can lose your benefits.

Benefits from different places

There are situations when you can receive money from, as an example, Försäkringskassan or CSN. If you do, you cannot receive money from us at the same time.

When you send in your time report to us you need to fill in if you for instance have been home with a sick child or been sick yourself. If you do not report your time correctly we can demand to get your benefits back and in worst case report it to the police.

If you are unsure of how to report these kind of situations, please contact us and we will help you to make sure everything is correct.

Decisions on your application

We will send you information via our e-service Mina sidor once we have made a decision regarding your application. You can see the date of applications we are currently handling at our website.